Amazon Title Best Practice
Creating new listings for products not already in the Amazon Catalog?
Amazon give the following guidance on what makes a great title and what’s not allowed.
ASIN Titles Length
- Use 50 characters maximum as a general rule. However some product categories allow longer titles, so be sure to follow category-specific instructions.
ASIN Titles Capitalization
- Capitalize the first letter of each word.
- Do not use ALL CAPS.
- Conjunctions (and, or, for) and articles (the, a, an) should not be capitalized.
- Don’t capitalize prepositions with fewer than five letters (in, on, over, with).
ASIN Titles Numbers and symbols
- Use numerals (2 instead of two)
- Spell out measurements ( 6 inches not 6″ )
- Don’t use symbols, such as ~ ! * $ ?
- Don’t use Type 1 High ASCII characters (Æ, ©, ô, etc.)
ASIN Titles Product information
- Include the size and color in “child” ASINs for variations
- Don’t include price or promotional messages, such as “sale” or “free ship”
- Don’t use subjective commentary, such as “Hot Item” or “Best Seller”
- Your merchant name for Brand or Manufacturer information should not be included, unless your product is Private Label
ASIN Titles for variation relationships
In Variation Relationships, only the title of the parent ASIN is shown on the detail page. The title for the selected child ASIN will appear once the ASIN is added to the customer’s cart, so it is important to include the variation attributes (such as size and color) in the title for the child ASIN.
- Example parent: Ugg Ankle Boot
- Example child: Ugg Ankle Boot, Brown, Small (Women’s 4-5 M US/Men’s 5-6 M US)